The holiday season is finally upon us, and the lights, trees, and cheer litter homes and outdoors everywhere across the world. For some, there is no better time of the year. Here is a list of the top 20 best things about the holiday season to get you excited!
1. Christmas Trees: There is nothing more exciting than going to pick out a tree and gathering around with people you love to add all the lights and ornaments. It brightens up anyone’s day. Also it’s amazing to have a tree in your house!
2. Chance of Snow: Who doesn’t dream of a white Christmas? Bing Crosby certainly did back in the 1940’s! As children we remember those winter’s that brought snow and it is absolutely fantastic if it falls on Christmas Day itself!
3. Lights: Walking around and seeing all the pretty lights can make anyone smile. Everything just glistens a little more during this season. Some lights around homes and gardens are simply unbelievable! Love them or hate them, it's a sparkly addition to the day.
4. Holiday Time! Whether you are a student anticipating winter break (because finals are just torture), or in the business world waiting for time off from work, this is a period where you can put your feet up all day if you want!
5. Ornaments and Cards: The holiday decorations are everywhere in the home and Christmas cards remind you to get in touch with someone you may not have seen all year.
6. Christmas Parties: There are so many parties during this season! Everyone wants an excuse to stand under mistletoe, sing and dance to aged Christmas hits.
7. Ugly Christmas sweaters: This is the time of the year to have an excuse to wear an ugly sweater and you can get away with it! No one can tell me they don’t secretly love wearing these awful sweaters.
8. Presents: Christmas shouldn’t necessarily be about presents, but we all secretly love getting them. How can anyone not look forward to unwrapping a gift and being surprised (or at least looking surprised!)?
9. Treats: This is one of the few seasons where treats are abundant, and there are no limits to how many mince pies, gingerbread men or chocolates you can eat.
10. Stockings: Stockings are always great to wake up to on Christmas day, with all the wonderful silly little things as well as some surprises! Of course there will always be nuts and tangerines in them, but who cares!
11. Snuggling: It’s cold outside, and this is the season to warm up with someone. There is no better time to snuggle up with someone in front of a movie with some hot chocolate or something stronger....
12. Ice Skating and throwing snowballs: Depends where in the world you are to get ice to go skating, but it is the archetypal scene at Christmas, especially if you can nip off the ice to throw a snowball or two!
13. Mistletoe: Is there any better excuse to bump into that special someone under some mistletoe?
14. Carols and Music: Jingle Bells, Silent Night, Winter Wonderland, Let It Snow, and all those others that we cannot help but hum or sing along to during this season.
15. Turkey: by Boxing Day you may just be getting tired of all the variations of turkey food that you could have, but as a ‘one off’ it's a fantastic food to have and brilliant with excellent gravy!
16. Time of giving: Christmas also brings out the best in others, because it is important to make sure we remember those who are less fortunate. Try giving something to someone out who you know would be surprised and thankful to receive.
17. Time with friends and family: Friends and family are fantastic, and this is the time to gather and remember how lucky we are to have people around us who love us.
18. Snowmen: Building snowmen is so much fun, and if you are lucky enough to have snow during the holiday season, a snowman is in order, carrot for nose and coal for eyes! If you look carefully at night, you may even see him move around!
19. Classic Christmas Movies and Games: Christmas movies time is upon us, and it is time to pull out old favorites and get cozy. Its also the best time to get a game out with family and friends and just be silly once in a while!
20. The Chance to feel like a kid again: Whether you are 5 or 85, the holiday season is a time to really just enjoy yourself and reflect on all the good things in life. Psst – get ready, Santa’s coming!
Happy Christmas everybody!
Happy to be a regular blog contributor to a fantastic website in Alaska - check it out at: